Tuesday, July 22, 2008

No More Velcro Straps!

Tallu's been out of her harness for eight days!
She can kick her legs, and stretch out whenever she feels like it. I don't catch a whiff of sour milk every time I pick her up. Our little turkey is free.

The weaning process was important, physically for her, and mentally for mom and dad. I think taking her out of it cold turkey (I need another poultry reference...) would have been overwhelming. It took the four weeks to me to re-learn how to hold her, and I'm sure Tallu needed time to get used to not being confined twenty-four-seven.

Taking her out for two hours each day was simple. We took her out at 6pm, put her on her gym, gave her a bath, put her in, nursed her and put her to bed. It was a short break enjoyed by all.

Temptation became stronger as the breaks out of the harness stretched, especially during the last week. She only wore it at night, and it seemed so cruel to strap her in for bedtime. We had established a routine by the eight hours out week: I'd nurse her and put the harness on while she slept. (I was amazed she could sleep through it) The most difficult night was last Monday. She was asleep on the bed, and I paced in and out of the room for a half hour, harness in hand. What's one less night? I thought. She won't know she skipped a night. But I would, and I was afraid that one night would ruin months of progress. So I went back in the room and prayed for the strength to strap her in that stinky thing one last time. Of course I took photos of her last night in the harness.

She slept well, but I was on edge the whole night. When she woke up for her 4 am feeding, I was all too happy to call her night over, and I took her out for what I hoped would be the last time. Her doctor's appointment was a week later, so we wouldn't know for sure if the therapy was complete.

We went to CHOP yesterday, and Dr. Flynn said we can burn the harness:-D
Her hip has healed very well. We return for follow-up X-rays at the end of September, and March of next year. Tim and I spent Monday night creating a thank you card for the staff, a collage of Tallu from the inverted leg, through the phases of treatment, to the end result.
Dr. Flynn thought the card was awesome -he could show the nurses who came with him what her leg looked like before treatment. One of the nurses said it should be a marketing tool for other parents, so they can see how well the treatment works.

I just thank God she was born in the 21st century, that she did not need surgery to fix her leg and hip, and that we never have to put her in that contraption again.

No comments: