Thursday, July 3, 2008

Good News, Everyone!

After a manic search, I've found a daycare for Tallu. It's a few blocks from home, it's been around for 40+ years, and they have availability and can take her this coming Monday. I'm very excited about leaving her. There are now breastmilk freezer bags in the house. We're going out of town this weekend, and I'm taking the pump with me. Maybe. I'll definitely have to take it to work to pump if she's going to continue to be "breasted."

There is some question about whether a baby can be called breastfed if she takes her mother's milk from a bottle. I guess technically the baby's not being breastfed, but po-TA-to, po-TAH-to, I say.

Anyhoo...The center is divided into two campuses. The infants are on the campus on the Ave, which means I'll get on the bus instead of the train for work. It's pretty convenient, and because it's nearer to home, I will not be able to work past 5. Daycares charge ridiculous late pickup fees- ours is $10 every fifteen minutes, some charge by the minute. It's clean, the ladies seemed nice, and the babies looked happy.

I will have to supply diapers, wipes, a change of clothes, and food. I'm planning to bring her sleeper bed, and leave the stroller there during the day. My one concern is food. One of the providers, Ms. J, asked if Tallu takes water or juice, after I told her she was breastfed exclusively. I will have to send lots of milk to guarantee that no one gives her juice or water. Of course, I cannot control what they give her, since I am leaving her in the care of someone else. I don't know how I'll be able to tell that they gave her juice, either. Smell her breath, maybe?

Ms. J said they have a few breastfed babies, so they know those babies tend to need extra holding time. That makes me feel good. I don't really want people setting her down to cry it out. She's an infant, jeez. Besides, I think the harness frustrates her, so I like to keep physical contact with her so she doesn't feel constricted AND neglected. That's my psychosis, though.

Speaking of the harness, the weaning is going well. She into the 4 hours out this week, and next Tuesday begins the 8 hours out. I have to leave that in the hands of the day care providers also.

I'll only see my baby in the morning before work and for a few hours when we get home. I'll have to check her over every day to make sure she's okay. I'm not being a paranoid new mom on this. The church secretary told me how her son's babysitter mistreated him as an infant, and it might not have gone unnoticed if her mother hadn't demanded she take a good look at the child.

This center seems like a good one, and I pray that my child will be well-cared for and safe. I'm truly sad that I have to leave her in the care of someone else so soon. But I have to put my full-time job on hold for the part-time job that pays money. I knew this day would come, but I was hoping it wouldn't.

Have a safe 4th of July, enjoy your weekend.

No comments: