Friday, May 16, 2008

Market Research/6 Week Check-up

I went to a breastfeeding focus group this afternoon. I didn't contribute much because there were more seasoned moms who had much more to say. But I did sign up for product research...trying nursing bras and other clothing and products...that means free stuff!!!! Now that I aint got no money (yay unpaid 6 weeks maternity leave!) market research sounds exciting.

Today I had my 6 week postpartum check-up. I am cleared for exercise, and not a moment too soon. There is a gap in my abdominal muscle, thanks to all the stretching during pregnancy. It's nothing a few crunches wont fix, and it'll save me lower back trauma.

The midwife and I did talk about postpartum depression because I have been feeling a little down. My husband says he's worried about me. It's not a severe case, but I'm not a professional so I can't say for sure. It is hard spending 24 hours caring for a person who can't talk, and cries inconsolably at times. I've been doing some things to help, I think. Now that it is warmer I try to get us both outside, and I'll stop at the cafe down the hill from me for a change of scenery. I can also hang out in the living room because the house is not as cold. I told all of this to her, and she gave me the number to two women who are experts on PPD. If you feel sad or blue it's a good idea to tell your midwife or obstetrician, don't be scared or embarassed about it.

My stitches are pretty much healed, save one little section. My midwife asked if we have considered birth control options. I said not really, except reading that there are certain birth control pills you shouldn't take while breastfeeding. Not interested in an IUD, and I wouldn't trust solely relying on breastfeeding. You can use breastfeeding as a contracaptive, but you have to breastfeed (or pump) consistently every 3-4 hours. If you miss even one 3-4 gap your body will produce an egg, so it takes sincere vigilance.

So my options are a progesterine only birth-pill (like the mini pill), the Depo-Provera shot every three months, or abstinence. Oh, and condoms, of course!

There are women who return to their regularly scheduled programming post birth. I don't understand them. I guess my vaginal memory is too fresh- I wasn't thrilled about this 6 week check-up because that meant someone had to touch me down there. I'm also living to nurture a human being with my body around the clock, so I don't have extra energy for procreating. Lucky for me I'm not completely healed, so I wasn't given the green light for such activities. Don't take me as the norm- I hear some women get right back into the game after the 6 week check-up, and even earlier.

In light of the fact that I have no interest in sex, abstinence sounds like the way to go for now. The good news about abstinence is that it's 100% effective :-D For those of you are wincing at my eagerness to rely on abstinence, let me say this: I wish you would try and remind me of how birth control works. I am the fucking centerfold for birth control, because I used it faithfully for nine years! If you even fix your mouth to lecture me of all women on the virtues of birth control, I will not feel sorry for you when I cuss you out (though I never feel sorry for cussin' people out, cuz it's always well-deserved!)

I know some of you are shaking your heads now, tutt-tutting and moaning, "Oh, your poor husband! That's so unfair to him. He has needs *sniff sniff*" If you want to have sex with my husband, give me a call, we'll schedule interviews. Be prepared to submit to drug screening, an HIV test, and a physical exam by a doctor of my choice! Or take up a collection and send him to the Bunny Ranch if you feel so badly for him. He could use a vacation, I'm sure. See how helpful and understanding I am? Yeah, you're welcome :-D

No comments: